Monday, September 17, 2018

Justice For Children Internship SERVICE LO6

September 5, 2018: 1 Hour
Today I assisted Angela, a child advocate for Justice For Children by listening to one of her intake calls, and taking notes on her behalf. Over the phone, the contact expressed that her grandsons have been tased and held at gunpoint by their mother. My hand was shacking while taking notes during this call, and I franticly began to think through possible solutions. Considering the utter direness of the case, I found it surprising that none of the grandmother's actions have led to an effective result. Despite the grandmother's several attempts to reach out for help through several outlets including Child Protective Services and Law Enforcement, the mother still holds primary custody, and the grandmother's documentation and statements have been discredited as she is a third party. I am hopeful that we will be able to obtain a more complete and detailed version of her story, so that we can figure out why she has run into so many roadblocks. The next step will be finding a pro bono attorney willing to represent the grandmother, and a possible homeless shelter which the boys can resort to for now. For this entry I believe that I have fulfilled the Service aspect of CAS, and I have achieved the following learning outcome: Demonstrate engagement with issues of global significance. 



No comments:

Post a Comment