Monday, September 17, 2018

Justice For Children Internship SERVICE LO1

September 17, 2018: 4 Hours 
Today I completed my notes for the case file I began reviewing last week, and I was able to identify contacts who could possibly provide statements to be used as creditable documentation in a letter to the judge. After interning for Justice for Children for a few months, I have learned that obtaining statements from a variety of different sources is crucial. This is because most judges will not acknowledge the statements of a single party to be valid without further documentation or other statements back them up. After reading through many court hearing documents and taking notes, I have also suggested that JFC request statements from the child's current therapist, the social worker for who interviewed the child, and the law enforcement officers who initiated interviews on the child, the contact, and the alleged perpetrator. After finishing the notes, I helped the COO of Justice For Children, Lisa Mikosh, by formatting a revised version of the intake form so that it can be posted on the website and filled out by those in need. This was a challenge for me as I was required to spend time learning and some of the more hidden functions of Microsoft word. Until today, I had no idea how to insert fillable check-boxes and other small features into a word document. Overall, today was a productive day, and I feel that I was able to effectively help JFC, and I developed a new skill. For this entry, I have fulfilled the Service aspect of CAS, and I have achieved the following learning outcome: Demonstrate that challenges have been undertaken, developing new skills in the process. 

No comments:

Post a Comment